The deposit was first discovered by locals in 1934-1935
Starting in 1936, the deposit was owned by a local town and province
Starting in the late 1930s and early 1940s, a cooperative union of Tsogttsetsii town began to operate the Tavantolgoi mine and sell its coal in the provincial center, thus marking the beginning of the mine on a commercial scale.
In 1966, the region around the mine came under the ownership of the state and it was decided that the coal mine would operate on an industrial level. It was at this time when the mine produced 300 tons of coal as was planned by the state.
In 1967, the mine acquired its own independent administration. The mine started out with 15 workers, cleared an area of 1500 m^3 and produced 4300 tons of coal, successfully fulfilling the year’s plan at 107.2-133.3%.
From 1978to 1980, the mine’s main equipment underwent improvement.
From 1980to 1990, the company initiated another round of equipment and facility improvement by purchasing new machineries.The company became capable of producing 120,000tons of coal per year.
Тvлш, Эрчим хvчний салбарын хэмжэнл социалист уралдаанд 3-р байр, БНМАУ-ыг тунхагласны 60 жилийн ой угтаж бvх ард тvмний социалист уралдаанд МАХН-ын Төв хороо, БНМАУ-ын Сайд нарын зөвлөл, МVЭ-ийн Төв Зөвлөл, МХЗЭ-ийн Төв хорооны диплом, мөнгөн шагналуудаар шагнагдсан.
In 1990-1991, the company provided the town of Khotol’s cement factory and Ulaanbaatar Electricity Station Number 3 with coal under contract, respectively.
In 2004, the company started to export coal to China. From this year on, coal production and sales increased dramatically (producing a total of 2.8 million tons of coal during this period)
On the 29th of August, 2007 (on the occasion of its 40th anniversary), the company produced one million tons of coal for the first time in its history.